Friday, December 18, 2009

2009 Oryx hunt

It all started with seeing an Oryx mount hanging on the newly decorated wall of my friend's new home in Durango. I was astonished at the beauty and he urged me to begin applying for the once in a lifetime hunt at White Sands Missle Range in southern New Mexico assuring me that it would take 10 years or so to draw.

Next thing I know, I'm packing up the truck heading to Alamagordo, NM with my buddy, Steve, Oryx tag in hand! It's an expensive tag but as I come to discover, well worth the money. The Oryx was introduced into White Sands in 1969 with several releases through the mid-70's and the habitat and lack of predators (like Lions & Leopards) proved to be a suitable and thriving situation. Thus, the depredation hunt each year that I am now remembering.

The most consistent advice given to me from each person I spoke to that has experience with these animals is to not underestimate their toughness. I soon came to discover that they are also very difficult to spot as they blend in perfectly with the Mesquite and tall Serengetti like grass. I also learned they are very good at keeping just enough distance between you making a stalk near impossible in open country. Therefore, Steve and I implemented our Colorado stalk method and took to the hills. We found a small group bedded from about a mile away and decided on our stalk route...isn't wonderful when a plan comes to fruition? I was fortunate enough to make a shot (actually 3 shots) and obtain one of these fine animals. After giving thanks, we reflected on the hunt and how magnificent it was to see these exotic animals so close to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment