Saturday, November 21, 2009

To guide or not to guide.

For many who are contemplating a hunting or fishing trip to a new area, it is advisable to research the many outfitters in the area. For the most part, these outfitters have excellent resources to guide you to the type of adventure you are after. Although a guide is not always necessary, I feel the "local knowledge" is invaluable, especially on your first few trips. In fact, I often hire the services of a guide in areas I am unfamiliar and find that the techniques, equipment and experience of the guide is generally an eye opener for me. For instance, I've implemented many casting techniques learned in Oregon Steelhead fishing in my home waters finding it more effective than the techniques I formerly used. For the "do it yourselfer" make sure you take advantage of the local shops as many locals convene to tell stories in these shops and an incredible amount of valuable information is shared. They also have all the maps and equipment you may need. Keep in mind, however, you will not get the insider information unless you are accompanied by a guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment